Descendants of Swan's Island's Bryant Lennan
Reverend Bryant Lennan, a minister of the Baptist denomination, came to Swan's Island in 1814 from Hampden, and took up a lot south of the Morey lot, which extended to the shore on the northwest; it is the Stockbridge lot, and included the land now owned by Reuben Joyce and David H, Sprague. He built a house on what is now known as Stockbridge Hill, and later built one near where Reuben Joyce now lives. He was the first settled minister on this Island. He organized the Baptist Society here. According to the record of Eastern Maine Baptist Association held in Sedgwick, October 11, 1820, the Swan's Island Baptist Church was taken into the association at that time with a membership of 23. Among the representatives from this place, as delegates at this and subsequent meetings, as appears in those old records, were the names of Joshua Staples, Courtney Babbidge, Deacon James Joyce and Ebenezer Joyce. The first two years Mr. Lennan preached here he was only a licensed preacher, but on October 2, 1822 he was ordained. He was married when he came here, and had a family but none of them settled in this town.
Mr. Lennan was a well-educated man, very earnest and faithful in the performance of his ministerial duties, and was much respected by the people. He remained here several years. He then went back to Hampden, and his land was purchased by Ebenezer Joyce and John Stockbridge. Some fifteen years after leaving here, after the death of his wife, he came back and preached several years, after which time we have no further record of him.
Created 1 August 2012 with RootsMagic Genealogy Software