Descendants of Swan's Island's Elias Morey
Elias Morey, Jr. came to Swan's Island from Deer Isle in 1832, and moved upon the lot with Mr. Cook, which place he afterwards came into possession of. Mr. Morey's wife was Jane Staples. Before coming here Morey lived on what is known as ring Farm at Mountainville, Deer Isle; the farm then, in 1822, belonged to Spofford and Towne. Morey's grandfather, Ezekiel Morey, came to Deer Isle from Meadow's River, near Brunswick, in 1787, and built the first frame house on Deer Isle.
When Mr. Morey came here the lands he occupied were covered with a heavy timber growth, which he cut off and sold for kiln-wood. Mrs. Morey died in 1854, at the age of 63 years. After her death, Mr. Morey married Sarah L. Friend, of Sedgwick, an estimable lady, who died in 1889, aged 76 years. Mr. Morey by great industry and economy, acquired considerable property. He died in 1885, at age of 61 years. His real estate is owned by John Stanley. Mrs. Morey moved to Winterport in 1897.
Created 1 August 2012 with RootsMagic Genealogy Software