Descendants of Swan's Island's James Sprague
James T. Sprague who Dr. Small also calls James R. Y. Sprague. He came to Swan's Island in 1820 from Union, Maine, and settled on Harbor Island where he built a log house. Here he brought his family. He remained there, however, only a few years, when he went to Marshall's Island. He occupied one part of the island, and Jeptha Benson the other. Afterwards he came back and took up one hundred acres of land in the southeastern part of the island, this being a part of the lot of 500 acres which had for many years been taxed to Michael O'Malley, and who had now ceased to own it for non-payment of taxes thereon. He built a house near the head of Long Cove just below where Lemuel Sprague now lives. The Sprague family came to Maine from Block Island and settled in the town of Union, where many of that name still reside. Mr. Sprague's father, John Sprague, had a family of fourteen children, most of whom removed from the place of their birth.
James lived in Union until after he was married and had a family of three children, the present James Sprague being two years old when they came here. Mr. Sprague married Rebecca Hewes, of St. George. She had previously been married to Israel Elwell, of St. George, by whom she had two children Israel Elwell and Susan Elwell. By Mr. Sprague, she had six children, three born in Union and three born here. Mrs. Sprague died in 1862, aged 79 years.
Created 1 August 2012 with RootsMagic Genealogy Software