Descendants of Swan's Island's Oliver Lane
Oliver Lane came to Swan's Island from Deer Isle about 1835. He was the son of Oliver Lane, Sr. and born in 1822. He and his brother Hardy bought Harbor Island of Silas Hardy. The two families lived together for some years, when Oliver sold his part to William Stinson, whose wife Elizabeth Lane was an only sister of Mr. Lane. Mr. Lane afterwards bought Marshall's Island. The former owner had been Swan, during whose ownership it was occupied by Jeptha Benson, later by Moses Bridges and Silas Hardy. About this time it came into the possession of Charles K. Tilden, of Castine, and Erastus Redman, of Brooksville, by whom it was mortgaged to Boston parties. Mr. Lane bought it of these parties at an excellent trade, as the island is quite valuable, being assesses at about $10,000. Mr. Lane resided here until about 1874, when he went to Sedgwick, where he now resides. His wife was Keturah Stinson, by whom he had 5 children.
Created 2 August 2012 with RootsMagic Genealogy Software