Descendants of Swan's Island's Peter Gott

This summary has been derived from information in Dr. H. W. Small's 'History of Swan's Island' published in 1898.
Peter Gott, one of the most interesting characters of eastern Maine, took up the tract south of Moses Staples, or the point of land to Hockomock Head. Peter is said to have been a cousin of Daniel Gott, who owned Gott's Island, and after whom it was named. The Gott family came from Cape Ann, at which place there are still many of that name.

Peter came to this state previous to the Revolutionary war, and settled at Ship Harbor, a small inlet east of Bass Harbor, and later moved to Swan's Island, where he reared his family. He married, near the year 1776, Charity (Carter) Kain, by whom he had eleven children, born between the years 1777 and 1799. After coming here he built a house near where the widow of Isaiah L. Stanley now lives.

After the death of his wife Charity, and the accidental drowning of Daniel Gott, of Gott's Island, with two of his sons, David and Charles, Peter married, in 1824, the widow. He then sold his place on Swan's Island to his son-in-law, William Stanley, and moved to Gott's Island, where he lived many years until after the death of his second wife, when he came back to Swan's Island, where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1839.

For the Swan's Island Education Society
Stephen C. Joyce
5616 Purnell Rd.
Wake Forest, NC 27587

Created 1 August 2012 with RootsMagic Genealogy Software